[OM] [OT] MLU and Other Horrors [was] The SRT101 drama and massive amou

Subject: [OM] [OT] MLU and Other Horrors [was] The SRT101 drama and massive amounts of egg on my
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:06:46 -0500
John Lind said:
Chuck,
Just so you don't feel so bad.  Yesterday, a local pro friend gave me a
panic phone call at work. ..<big snip>

Thanks, John, but in your case the problem was hidden.  In the case of
the SRT101 the mirror lockup lever is in plain sight and in the same
spot that you'd find it on an OM-1... and since the mirror was up I had
obviously used the lever at some point (in the distant past) in fiddling
with the camera.

At least I think I figured out how I accidentally locked it in the up
position in the first place.  On the OM-1 if you move the lever "down"
you also move the mirror down.  Not so on the SRT101.  There, putting
the lever "down" moves the mirror up.  The last time I put the SRT101 on
the shelf (maybe even two years ago) I probably noticed that the mirror
lock lever was in the "up" position and moved it down thus setting
myself up for total confusion when, picking up the camera two years
later I find that the mirror seems to be stuck in the up position.  Got
that?

I've always used OM's because they "just feel right" and work the way I
think they should.  After all, who would ever think of putting a shutter
speed dial on the top of a camera?  Just ain't ergonomic.  Now I know
another reason... mirror lock lever moves in the same direction as the
mirror.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA