RE: [OM] Rarest Zuiko lens

Subject: RE: [OM] Rarest Zuiko lens
From: ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:43:54 +0100

Original design of Schmidt telescope has a curved (spherical) plate, so you
cannot place a camera in the focus; the camera is done with an aspherical
lens and a spherical mirror. But there are other Schmidt-like design with
plane plates, and with focus outside the telescope. I don't remember now
the name of one of these, that could be "easily" produced as 1000/2.8, but
the secondary mirror will probably have a diameter of half size of the main
mirror, so vignetting could be a problem.

Ralf Loi

James said:
I need a 1000mm f-2.8. Anybody seen one of those for sale?  They are
verrrrrry rare. The f-11 is just too slow. /jnm
Lest you think this is impossible it would be quite possible to build a
1000mm f/2.8 as a Schmidt camera.  'course you'd have to mount the OM
inside the lens instead of hanging it on the outside. Portablility would
not be one of its better features but you'd be astounded by the
resolution.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA