Re: [OM] Re: OlympusGuy hypocrisy

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OlympusGuy hypocrisy
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:19:24 -0700
At 09:02 AM 1/22/01 -0500, Mike Swaim wrote:
I mean no offense to anyone, but did not this very list basically drum Paul
Van T. off this list for his repeated ads here?

No, it wasn't "this list" -- it was certain members of this list. Others came to Paul's defense (I was one of the erstwhile "defenders"). In the end, Paul probably found it easier to leave than to stay.

I've been on the Internet since before it was referred to as "The Internet," (1981 -- the Elder Days, according to many), and I've watched it transmogrify from an academic network with lots of grad and undergrad students using it "for free" (ah, the naivete of idealistic University and college youth) to a full-fledged worldwide network with a heavy commercial emphasis, access to which most people pay for.

I've never given a rat's ass about the changes -- they're inevitable, and besides, the Internet's capacity for every type of interaction is effectively infinite. If you know what you're doing, you can ignore the "commercial" side of the Internet for ever.

Others seem to have felt differently, and when Paul piped up with his "I've got Olympus item 'X' for sale" messages, they pounced. A shame -- I bought a couple of items off of him, and he was always pleasant and helpful over the phone.

'Bye, OlympusGuy.  Enjoy your new-found freedom.

Garth

"Sexism isn't dead, it's just switched genders."