Re: [OM] Re: Rarest Zuiko-- 1000/f11

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Rarest Zuiko-- 1000/f11
From: "dolphans1" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:03:27 -0600
Photographing the space shuttle with a 1000mm and a doubler, 2000mm at f-16,
would be pretty difficult to track.

The most usable photo's or height of the peak action would be before and
during the rocket solid rocket boosters ignite. i.e. right before and
slightly after liftoff. (I can't imagine riding on a Roman candle, you'd
never get me in it.)

I have never photographed the space shuttle, but I would assume there would
be so much smoke surrounding the shuttle once all the stages disengaged off,
that it would be very difficult to track, especially at 2000mm.

The key to doing this is owning a very expensive tripod (a must) with a very
good ball head on it, and of course a motor drive, racking off several
frames of film toward the begining stages. Keep the good frames and toss the
bad ones.

I would love to see the photos John if you still have them.

I'll never forget the Space Challenger disaster, I was in Orlando and my
sister informed me it blew up. (it was a very cold day) I said to her: was
the shuttle on the ground? and she replied: "no it was in the air", my first
words were "oh no"

At the time without seeing the footage, I knew the crew would all perish if
it were inflight, but thought the crew may have had a chance on the ground.
Then I watched in shock, the many replays. Christy MaCuliff (spelling?) was
the school teacher that won the essay for the historic ride. It was a very
sad day.

Sam...