RE: [OM] Sniping (Was: Vivitar 12/20 NC-3 Battery Charger 283 285 (eBay

Subject: RE: [OM] Sniping (Was: Vivitar 12/20 NC-3 Battery Charger 283 285 (eBay #1207380641)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 22:07:13 -0700
On 22 Jan 2001, at 20:41, Ray Moth wrote:

> Not being an ebay user, I have read these posts with half attention.
> However, it suddenly occurrs to me to wonder what it will be like when
> *everyone* uses sniping! After all, most serious users of ebay will
> naturally want to improve their chances of winning.

I've already seen it happen a couple of times, and it's GREAT fun to
watch....

An item sits at a *really* low price (say US$100 for an OM-4T) right up
until the last minute.  For the next thirty seconds, bidding starts to take
off and the price climbs to US$200.  Then, for the last 30 seconds, all
HELL breaks loose, and the price takes off like a rocket.  Finally, it
closes at US$450 and a review of the bidding history shows that three
guys bid that number, the last one coming in 3 seconds before closing!
The guy who bid US$450 first with 8 seconds left gets it!

Like I said, it's great fun to watch.  Probably jangles the nerves a bit if
you're one of the bidders, though.  :-)

Regards,

Chris
(Who'll "refresh" the page every 10 seconds (or less) during the last
minute for auctions he's watching closely.)

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill