Re: Re: [OM] Film Test - Fuji SuperHG 1600 ASA

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Film Test - Fuji SuperHG 1600 ASA
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:13:07 -0800
At 09:09 AM 1/23/01 -0700, Chris O wrote:

>Costco charges CDN$5.98 (US$4.00) for one-hour service including an index
>card.  Two-day service (with index) is CDN$3.50 (US$2.33) or thereabouts.
>We've done 'nuff there to be on very friendly terms with the techs, so it
>appears to us that they take a little "extra care" with our stuff.  As
>well, they'll redo something (like the shot of Cori's granddaughter) if
>we're not happy...  something other
>one-hour labs would probably grump about.
>
>By comparison, McBain's Photo charges 'bout CDN$11.00 (US$7.33) or
>thereabouts for two-day service, and London Drugs charges 'bout that much
>for one-hour service, but gets *very* grumpy if you ask for something to be
>redone.  (Garth: Jump in here if I'm way off on local prices...  it's been
>awhile!)

Chris,

You really need to develope a friendly relationship with at least one good
processor - you will be amazed how your photography improves. Next time you
are in Costco spend a couple hours watching how they do the processing.
Printers change after short runs at the printer. They rotate staff through
constantly - have to its high volume. What you get is "average" processing
- its "good enough" for joe average. They are selling cost and convenience
period.

I still use them for testing new lenses, cameras etc etc. When I have some
good stuff it goes to my local 1hr processor. We have a deal that I get 1hr
service for 3 day rates (ie $10.95 Cndn). The guy is a photographer and he
and his hand trained staff do great work for a machine process. If I need
something special I have a pro lab in Victoria that I finally found who
understand what I want. Yes it is more expensive BUT the results are
unbelievable compared to either Costco or even the my "buddy" the 1 hour
processor especially the enlargements. There is just no comparison between
a machine print 8X10 and a custom 8X10 (at about 21/2 - 3 times the price
though) especially if you have a neg that has all the info but needs the
hand treatment.

Just my Cndn $.02
Barry H