Re: [OM] Polycarbonate Toughness

Subject: Re: [OM] Polycarbonate Toughness
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:14:48 -0800
Some people had knocked the OM-F and its thin metal sheath over
polycarbonate. But this is the camera I lent to my daughter for 2 years of
high school photography and I think it was a wise choice. The first time she
swung it so hard against a brick wall that the plastic shroud on the bottom
of the mirror box flew off and was rubbing against the aperture mechanism,
causing erroneous exposures. The next time she dropped it onto a sidewalk and
bent the heck out of the Vivitar UV filter that was on there. Just today she
opened her car door and it fell to the pavement and the mirror came unglued.
I superglued it back on tonite. Do I think that the adjustment may be off? I
think it will serve its purpose. The reason I used superglue was because it
goes on very thin and is strong.  Hopefully it will approximate the original
mirror angle and setting. Today she also dropped my OM-77 with 28-70 Sigma.
There is a metal surround over the focusing mechanism that got a bit of a
dent in it stopping focusing. I managed to unscrew it and a few bangs with my
hammer and its working almost as good a new.

I had some of my camera laid out and she tried each one, OM-1, OM-2S, OM-3,
and OM-4T. She like the OM-3 the best for some reason. I retorted with what I
had learned in drug education, "NO".

Warren

Perhaps you could give her other camera brands and give the results to the list in a torture test comparison.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA