[OM] Re: Off-brand and house-brand films (was: Clark Labs film)

Subject: [OM] Re: Off-brand and house-brand films (was: Clark Labs film)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:55:37
Periodically Pop Photo or another magazine would publish an article about off-brand or house label films (Target, Walgreen's, Reel Good Film, Bud's Back Alley Film, etc.), but I haven't seen such an article updated recently.

Here are a few I've tried and believe I've identified accurately:

Polaroid (usually labeled "One Film"): if the box says Made In Germany it's Agfa, probably HDC. I've seen this film only in 100 and 200 ASA. Good stuff, saturated colors.

Polaroid (usually labeled "High Definition"): if the box says Made In Japan or Made In The Netherlands it's Fuji, probably Super HQ. At least the results resemble Super HQ. Less saturated than Polaroid One Film. Sharper? Maybe. Available in 100-400 ASA. Pretty good stuff, nothing special, nothing wrong, I just prefer Fuji Superia.

BEWARE: I've seen at least one batch of Polaroid High Definition film made in the USA. Avoid - this is Imation/3M film, a manufacturer of many house brand films and usually disappointing. Kodak film is not sold under any other label to the best of my knowledge.

Walgreen's film is all Agfa, labeled Made In Germany. A real bargain. My favorite house brand film. ASA 100-400 available and all have been very satisfactory, tho' best suited to landscapes due to the saturated colors. (Those of you who took a peek at my photos of Kathryn on PhotoPoint may have noticed her face looked pale compared with her arms. That's the drawback to using a saturated color film rather than something like Portra. My photos of her from the same session using my last roll of Kodak VPS were more flattering to her skin tones. Unfortunately the photos themselves weren't quite as interesting.)

Winn-Dixie (a Southwestern U.S. supermarket chain) film is Ferrania, perhaps the world's worst film. I'm assuming that Ferrania must make some good film sold under its own name, but whatever it makes for house brand relablers is awful. Avoid at all costs.

Other places I've seen selling relabeled Ferrania film include other supermarket chains, the various "Dollar" stores, etc. If the label says Made In Italy, well...if you want to support the Italian economy, buy olive oil or a Ferrari. Or buy Kodak film and take a holiday in Italy and spend lavishly.

JMHOOC.

Lex
===

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:02:39 -0800