RE: [OM] Metz

Subject: RE: [OM] Metz
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:23:03 -0500
Hilary is correct in his reply.

Actually all current Metz flashes can use the 321.  This is same adapter as
sold for Praktica!

The Metz flash that is most like a T32 is the 32CT3.  Guess what the guide #
is?
The 32CT3 has an advantage over the T32 in that in can both bounce and
swivel.
321 will also fit on a 32Z-2 (current model) as well as the 40, 50 and 60
series.

As Hilary states, any SCA-compatible flash will work with the 321 adapter on
an OM.
You have to watch Cullmann flashes, some of the units require you to
literally POP the adapter off the flash.
Also, Regula makes flashes compatible with SCA.

What is so attractive about the SCA system is that so many manufacturers
flash units are compatible with the system.

You can use the G-15 handle and power a Metz, but you can't use the G-15 to
power other flashes from other manufacturers.  Bummer.  Does make a good
grip though.  Can be used on L or R side and has a connector (same a Winder
1 and 2) to trip shutter from grip.

There are a number of styles of function in cables using the 12 pin
connector.  Some terminate in standard PC, others allow you to connect a
number of flashes like the TTL Multi Connector (very similarly styled
connectors as Olympus).

Tom Scales sold me a BEAUTIFUL MZ40-2.  I love it.  What a flash, GN of 131.
Covers 28-105 and can put on WA adapter.  Has 2 flash tubes so you can
swivel or bounce and still get direct flash on subject.

Metz flashes tend to be pricey even used (B&H has had a CT3 in used OM
section for ~6 months @ $89).  Lucky for me, I got one for $50 at Midwest
Photo.

You should be aware that not all Cullmann, Osram, Regula, Agfa or even Metz
are SCA-compatible.  Often NOT the case, from what I can see.  Osram also
makes/made a series of flashes that had another type of adapter.  Whew!

Brian P. Huber