[OM] Olympus XA2 and A11 flash problems

Subject: [OM] Olympus XA2 and A11 flash problems
From: "Andrew Blake" <s369258@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:51:18 +1000
Hi,
While browsing at a Lifeline (thrift shop) here in Cairns I turned up an
Olympus XA2 and A11 flash in original case with manuals.  A quick look
showed no scratches or fungus, and the shutter appeared to work after
removing and replacing the batteries. (but battery check/self timer didn't
work)

So I bargained down and walked away with it for AUD$6. :-)  If it didn't
work I hadn't lost much.

I whacked some new batteries in it (S76's from another camera) and the self
timer and battery check now work.

I then set about to get the flash going, and after whacking in an AA, let it
charge.  After a very long time the light came on, but when I trip the
shutter, the light blinks, flash doesn't fire.

Now the flash charges much faster, but still won't fire.  The light just
blinks like it tried to fire, and realises that it's fully charged already.

Shorting the two contacts at the bottom of the flash only dimmed the light
and sparked a little at the terminals.  I can't figure out how to get the
flash apart, there's two screws on the bottom (old version) but they don't
seem to do anything.  Likewise with removing the metal Olympus plate and the
rubber bit on the bottom.

So, any suggestions on how to get this flash to fire, or how to break it
open and fix it up?  I love this little camera already, it's so small and
what a bargain at only $6. (If only it was an XA)