[OM] Re: Easy List & Digest solution

Subject: [OM] Re: Easy List & Digest solution
From: miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:53:06 -0500
>For my tastes most web pages are too bogged down by needless graphics, java
>scripts, etc., when all I want is the information.

Lex, I completely agree with that assesment and take text whenever at all
possible. However, it's not at all necessary to go to the Egroups web site
except to check archives, FAQs and stored files. All else, (supposedly even
including signup) can be done via email. The beauty of it is that for those
that elect to get digest versions, each digest consists of approx. 25
messages that are prefaced with a listing of that digests contents. It's
the contents feature that this list's digests lack. It's of great help in
quickly figuring out if there's even anything of interest in a particular
digest. Unfortunately for me, too much of this digest has to be tediously
reviewed just to pick out the one or two items of genuine photography or OM
interest.

A good case in point, is that while I was quite tempted to respond to the
other bicycle and astronomy enthusiasts on this list by starting a thread
on shared hobbies, I remembered how much I've dreaded long drawn out
discussions on other OT subjects and decided to spare the list that type of
OT barrage since I'm quite sure that there are many that aren't interested.

Most of this will likely fall on deaf ears, just as it has in the past, but
I'd seriously urge those posting to this list to trim quoted content to a
bare minimum necessary to give an accurate representation of what's being
responded to, and to also really strive to keep conversation relevant to
Olympus, Zuiko, related accessories, and photography experiences, tips,
techniques using same.
I've been as guilty of any of posting OT stuff, but am actively vowing to
change my ways. Sure, I have an opinion on Harleys, SUVs, politics and just
about every other damn thing, but I doubt seriously that this list would be
the better for my sharing them. So I'll shut up now. ;-)

Mike Swaim