Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:32:45 -0700
At 11:41 AM 1/24/2001 -0800, Peter A. Klein wrote:
>My wife and I plan to vacation in Italy this spring.

[snip]

>To ask the perennial impossible question:  "What camera and lenses would
>you take if you were me?"

[snip]

>I've got the following to choose from:
>
>-Leica M4-P (black), 35/2 and 50/2 Summicrons, 50/1.4 Nikkor, 85/1.9
>Canon (HEAVY!), 90/4 Elmar.
>-Olympus OM-2 (chrome), 28/2.8 MC, 35/2.8 SC, 50/1.8 MC, 50/1.4 SC,
>100/2.8 SC (all Zuikos)
>-Gossen Luna Pro Digital meter
>-A light plastic camera C-clamp that doubles as a table tripod.
>-A small old Vivitar flash (Model 283?) with both manual and automatic
>modes (not TTL)

[snip]

The OM-2, the 28/2.8, the 50/1.4 and the 100/2.8.  The 50 will come in handy in
churches, museums etc. where you have low-light conditions and aren't always
allowed to use flash.  The 28 will be useful for landscapes, narrow streets,
and interior shots where you can find some support for a slower shutter speed.
The 100's good for street life photos where you're grabbing portraits etc. from
a distance (or even close-up).

Yes, theft can be a problem, but it may also be overstated.  The last time I
was in Paris (Spring '99), I carried around a hip-system that contained an
OM-4, a 21/2.0, a 28/2.0 and a 100/2.0.  Went to many of the typical crowded
tourist traps, and never had a problem.  Be Aware Of Your Surroundings would be
my best advice.  I wouldn't take a tripod, either, nor a flash -- the tripod is
advertising, and the flash literally screams "Here I am!" when you fire it off.
 Both in England and France, I was able to find a number of impromptu supports
to use as a tripod when I was taking indoor photos under available light.
Worked well, for the most part.

Garth

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.  Unless there are
three other people."

   -- Orson Welles