Re: [OM] Re: Costco for film developing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Costco for film developing
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:21:00 -0700
On 24 Jan 2001, at 17:25, miaim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Chris, I think your post just goes to show how really different various
> people's experiences and localities are.

True!

>  Here, where they just opened a Costco, the film is sent out for
> developing.

[Snip!]

> ...it took more than a week to get back some "next-day" prints. When we
> did finally get them they were of only average Qualex quality, which is
> to say they were destined for the trashcan.

Bummer!  I've never waited that long, but I've had some cr*ppy results
from 'nuther Costco.  (see below)

> Clearly, things are very different elsewhere, but whenever I hear
> anybody recommending their favorite mass production discount venue for
> processing, I cringe.

I'm sorry if my previous messages implied that I was recommending the
Costco that I go to.  For most, that's a pretty long drive (the U.S.
members) or swim (the International members), and as far as I know
they don't do mail order.  :-)

My comments were intended more as "don't automatically diss the
volume/inexpensive labs" statement.  To be clear, I've had cr*ppy results
from both pro and discount labs (including Costco...  don't get me
started about the *terrible* work done by the one in Nanaimo, B.C.!!!
They literally *ruined* several rolls of my holiday shots last summer!
And, when I asked them to do the prints again, the reply was, "we're too
busy!"  BLECH!!!)

On the other hand, I've had darned good results from both pro and
discount places.  McBain's (pro) does pretty darned good work, as does
at least one London Drugs, here.  Haven't tried Walmart, Zellers, or
others, though.

As several people (I think?) have pointed out, it depends alot on who's
doing the work (i.e. the tech), whether that person:

1.  has an "eye" for good printing
2.  has had proper training in how to do the work, and
3.  even *cares* about what's spewing out the other end

> Before I started doing my own B&W stuff, I very carefully and
> methodically had rolls of print film and slide film developed at all of
> the local pro labs.

That's been suggested to me, and I think it's a good idea although I'm
*not* going to hit *every* place in town.  (NOTE TO GARTH:  Got some
suggestions of "good" labs I should try???)

> It's really amazing when you see what a really good color lab can do,
> as compared to the average drug store or discount chain.

Yup.  Been there...  seen that.  DON'T get anything done at Costco,
Nanaimo!

> Interestingly, though, not all of the "pro" labs in this area are even
> as good as the best discounters. So that's something to keep in mind.

In a word....  BINGO!!!!  :-))))

How come you just said in one sentance what I've been trying to say in
numerous messages?!?!?  And, to make matters worse, you actually
said it BETTER than me!!!  (SIGH!)

> If whatever you're doing is making you happy, then by all means, please
> do continue. I just thought I'd share another type of experience.

And, thank you for doing so!  In fact, thanks to EVERYONE who's
commented!  I've been given LOTS of food for thought, so it's been a
VERY useful discussion!

Regards,

Chris