Re: [OM] RE: E-10

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: E-10
From: "dolphans1" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:14:58 -0600
Hey Donald,

I agree with your post, they said the same thing about 35mm film, when it
was first introduced. It was considered amateurish by the photojournalist,
back in the days. (sounds like rap, doesn't it?)

In the old days photo journalist used the Speed-Graphic camera, manufactured
by Graflex, a company in New York (where else? I always wondered why
Shutterbug had so many N.Y. camera dealers.).

Pure "photo enthusiasts" say the Speed Graphic was America's "first and last
great camera."

I have seen images of old that are so great, that it would be very difficult
to acheive the exact same results on 35mm film or digital. Impossible in my
opinion.

For those that think they came up with a new idea or ways to shooting great
photographs, guess what? it's probably already been done before, and many
times over.

We must remember the "art" or the "mastering" of photography, is capturing
the moment or story as it's happening. (you look at the photo and it tells
you something)

Then there is also the art of composition while framing a subject. You must
learn to shoot the way the camera sees the image.

Also, let's not forget the importance of having the right perspective,
lighting and camera angle. This is what truly sets photographs apart from
your basic average click shot.

They say the best photographs are the simplest in terms of composition,
which  at times is easier said then done.

Whether it's 110mm, 126mm, 35mm, medium format, large format or digital, the
basic principles are the same.

I recently ran into a young photographer that shoots exclusively auto-focus.
He was intrigued by the fact I was still shooting manual focus.

He was surprised to hear me say that I tried auto-focus and that I didn't
really like it that well. What I thought was funny is he said that exact
opposite, he couldn't shoot manual focus.

So what's the irony in all of this? Is digital better than film? Is a blond
better than a brunette?

Who knows! I guess it's all a matter of what feels right for you......

Sam....