Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:17:53 EST
I have experienced two snatching/mugging/grabbing the strap episodes..well,
3...one poorly done where I grabbed it back (he was on a bike in Paris), one
where I ran with him for several blocks until he let go (Naples...bad
area...thank goodness I had on sneakers and not heels...be careful in any
area in southern Italy..in fact, I read an article while in Europe this last
September warning tourists of Pompeii)..but the worst was in Rome, where he
knocked me down (knocked the wind out of me and got the camera AND pocketbook
for good)...my second OM-1 I got off a GI for $90...I wasn't as attached to
it at the time as my original...but it's still maddening. He damned near
ripped my shoulder off. I remember feeling relieved as I was usually the one
carrying the new OM2 and hub would carry the OM1.

My last trip to Rome the pick-pocketing was the major problem.

I've been to Florence a dozen times with nary a problem..it is a
photographer's heaven...never really had any problems in Venice, altho I
prefer Florence and Pisa.

I heartily recommend getting a 35-70 3.5-4.5, and the 24mm 2.8...one of the
best travelling combos I've ever used.

Susan
..who's itchin' to go back to Florence...