[OM] [OT] Space shuttle

Subject: [OM] [OT] Space shuttle
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:57:38 -0000
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to be able to fly on NASA's low-gravity KC-135
flights (affectionately known as the Vomit Comet, and also the plane used to film Apollo 13). The picture on my website <http://mrg8.physics.wsu.edu> is me floating (sorry, wasn't taken with OM equipment).

Cooooooooooooooool!!!! Now if only that would have been a self portrait and taken with an OM, it'd be one of the best entries for TOPE1 (a la Chris Barker's shot).

On the plane you get about 20-30 seconds of zero gravity, followed by about 40 seconds of about 2g. Repeat this 40 times in a flight, and you start to understand the plane's nickname :)

Yeah, I think I can imagine that...:)

The one thing you learn is that 20 seconds is just not long enough! I'd go on the Shuttle in a second!

As would I! The accelaration at take off must be about one of the coolest experiences one can undergo, not to mention actually seeing that "blue planet" from above!

Don't know about a six-month stint on the ISS, though...

I don't think I could do that either. I already feel uncomfortable being indoors for a whole day without getting fresh air. I think some two weeks would be the maximum I could bear without going crazy. 6 months is just too long. Hmmm, another motivation for staying on the right side of the law :)

ObOly:  I'm going to bring my OM2n and 21/3.5 on my next flight in
February :)

Excellent: see if you can repeat the excellent shot from your site (as a self portrait!) and you'll have one of the best TOPE 1 entries!!!

Then Acer added:

i think that shots should go to tope self ports. gallery. so what if it's not om or even a self port. it's out of this world!

Well, I'm sorry. I am normally a bit easy on the rules, but the "Oly-only" rule is one which I'd like to enforce strictly... First let's see if Mark can repeat the shot with the 2n+21/3.5. If that doesn't work out, we'll see about breaking the Oly-only rule...:)

Cheers!
Olafo