[OM] OM Italy/Camera, lens advice.

Subject: [OM] OM Italy/Camera, lens advice.
From: B Gray <bandvg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:18:33 +0000
Cc: olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Peter
I have holidayed in N. Italy (Lake Garda primarily, but with a visit to Venice) three times in the last five years and included photography in quite a few churches - my wife is particularly interested in the marble and other materials. For church visits I would certainly recommend having a flash available and comment that many of the smaller churches in out of the way places tend to be empty of other visitors so that flash is not unneighbourly. In view of our geology interests I carry an extension tube as I have no macro lenses, and would also recommend something longer than 100mm for some landscapes - I use a 75-150 mm F4 for the purpose although I think its quality will not compare with your 100mm or 85mm lenses. On such trips I now carry an OM2SP and an OM10 - (the latter failed during my first trip to Italy when I was not carrying a backup) plus 28f2.8 and 50mmF1.4. Since Olympus gear is so compact I actually use a large (male style) leather shoulder bag (bought in Italy on my last trip!) to carry it around as it may look relatively attractive but does not scream 'camera'. Only problem with this bag is that it has to be put under a coat if the weather is really wet. The bag I used previously was a leathercloth shoulder bag which was getting pretty worn but is still serviceable and is used to store other equipment at home in the UK. I do not think worries about having bags etc snatched were worse than in other countries, particularly in heavily built up areas, but past experience has made me wary of being shortchanged when buying things and I feel it is more essential than usual to check restaurant/hotel bills. In particular, it takes some getting used to having most things priced in thousands - at least until they issue euros - the numbers on the bank notes are big with 3000 lira being worth about 1 UKP.
        Enjoy your trip, I hope to go again.
Brian

UK
brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxx