RE: [OM] Re: [OT] bikes (long)

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: [OT] bikes (long)
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:36:51 -0800 (PST)
Ok, I've got to weigh (oops, not a good word for me
right now) in here on the OT of bicycles:

I've got a roadrace bike that is built on a ParkPre
frame as I was a regional rep for that company at the
time and this was my demonstrator/public relations
racer.  I ended up dumping something like $1500
(wholesale prices) in titanium and carbon fiber parts
into the ride.  Only thing not titanium is the steel
frame and the seatpost.  Race weight is 19.5 pounds,
but the spinning weight was extremely minimal with the
CF spokes, Latex tubes, and scrawny 185PSI tires.
This bike screams!

I bought my mountain bike, not for mountain biking,
but as a temporary substitute to a 4WD vehicle.  I
figured that if I could delay the purchase of a jeep
or truck by one year that it would pay for the $650
Cannondale.  I did use the bike as a means for the
next three years for getting back in the woods for
photography.

Enter the joy of mountain biking.  So much for cost
savings.  I've got $3000 in my Canondale now and
counting!

Future purchases?  I'm wanting to get a Slingshot TT
frame and some new custom wheels.  Thanks to Mssrs
Carpel and Tunnel, I will need to put suspension on
the front of the bike and go with TT bars.  CT has
been the biggest problem with my bike riding.  Sooner
or later there will be a double surgery (no not that
one--already been there, done that) to get my wrists
taken care of.

Now, to find five minutes to ride these days...

Ken Norton

OM content:  I've got pictures of the bikes!