Re: [OM] What do I get

Subject: Re: [OM] What do I get
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:17:36 EST
Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Now, a stoopid question... what would be the benefit in getting a 50mm,
 apart from an extra f-stop, when I already have a "prime" zoom that covers
 this, and also allows me to stay still and get the framing right? As I've
 had the zoom for so long I'd can't see that I'd use a fixed standard very
 much.

 I didn't tell you what I take pictures of.. mainly the family, but also
 buildings and trees etc and things that make patterns (like scaffolding;
 railway lines;. Most of the family ones are indoors so there is lots of
 flash work.
   <SNIP>
 Sam

Sam,
Let me give you some advice I learned along the way, feel free to accept or
ignore-
For many years I was of the impression that zooms were the best cure-all for
my needs, no moving back-and-forth, no constant changing of lenses. This
approach was, for the most part WRONG. I am now slowly adding prime lenses to
my kit. Treat a zoom as something handy for situations where you have little
other choice- shooting a fast -moving soccer or football game (I know that's
redundant to some of you, but I'm talking American football here) but even
then you can successfully use one or two primes. A fast zoom is much better
than say, an F/5.6.
1. That extra F stop will come in handy later. Your style and subjects (flash
indoors and architecture outdoors) do not need it now, but what happens if
you shoot architecture/buildings INDOORS? You'll need it then. You'll need
faster lenses to throw backgrounds out of focus for naturally lighted
portraits. Look at what you're shooting- subjects that don't move. You have
plenty of time to experiment with different F stops to isolate that building
from a distracting background, same is true for an outdoor portrait; or get
the whole photo in focus from near to far in the railway line photos.
2. Lose the impression that it's better to stay still and frame with a zoom.
The better shot will come from YOU moving closer to the subject most of the
time. Use a wide angle. Haven't you experienced the frustration of shooting
outdoors at say, Disney World where after you "get the framing right" with
your zoom, you still can't get the shot because there's zillions of people
still walking between you and the subject?
3. Just about all prime lenses will give you better results in the final
image than a zoom will.
This is not to say I'll EVER give up my 35-70 or 50-250 etc. NO, zooms do
have their uses for sure. Just don't get in the habit of depending on
"zooming" to get the best shot. One further suggestion- take that family
outside if you have the choice and I think you'll like the natural lighting.
Use flash only when you have no other choice, IMO.
Just my 2c

Best regards,
George S.