[OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:14:54 -0000
Hi,

Man, I could care less about getting killed. Shit, if I'm dead, they can *have* my camera gear. It's getting robbed that I don't like......

:)
Interesting philosophy...:)))

Yet I've never had a single problem over there regarding theft, nor in Lima where I lived (and in both cities I _did_ bring my Oly gear to some of the parts where people are likely to get their belongings stolen).

Sure, they'd rather shoot you than rob you.

On a serious note: If you walk into the wrong neighbourhood (I'm speaking about the really bad shanty towns/slumps here), that would probably happen to you within some 10 seconds or so. One of the saddest things about that is that the culprit then would be likely to be about equally old as the amount of seconds indicated above (nice standards of life, eh?). Indeed, these slumps are extremely dangerous, especially if you don't look native (and I can assure you I very much look like a "Gringo"). Fortunately for us, these slumps can be spotted from miles away, so one actually needs to make an effort to wind up there. I guess not many people are _that_ stupid, but then again, who knows what a naive person may do. Normally when in the not-so-rough parts of town matters aren't that bad, at times things happen like muggings or people's pockets getting picked, but people being plainly killed tends to be another story (at nighttime this is a bit more likely to happen though). Then again, I guess all of the above applies to the gettoes of DC too, or am I wrong here?

I think a good solid monopod would make an excellent club, eh?

You could try it, but I doubt it'll be very succesful against guns...:/

Anyway: again I repeat myself in stating that fortunately enough situations like these do not happen a lot. I think it's far more likely that your bag will get grabbed or that you'll get run over by a car when not taking care, than that someone actually kills you ((Latin American) slumps may form an exception here). I normally tend to take the necessary care when visiting places I don't know well, and that tends to keep me out of trouble. Fortunately, in Italy matters are not quite as rough as in the slumps of Latin American metropoles, so it's not likely at all one will get killed. Most of the theft that happens over there is kids running off with your bag and/or picking your pockets. What do you lose in such a situation? Some gear. As annoying as that may be, things like that are typically (at least partially) covered by your travel insurance, so even though a nuisance, it's an experience that shouldn't be too traumatising either (at least, in most of the cases it shouldn't be)...

Bottomline: don't stay out of Italy, nor leave your camera at home, out of fear of it getting stolen alone.

Cheers!
Olafo