Re: [OM] 350mm F2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 350mm F2.8
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:30:33 -0800
In a message dated 1/25/2001 John R (Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx) writes:

<< I never have contemplated C*n*n (besides the
autofocus 600mm f4 but that is not a real thought yet) >>

That is becoming a very popular lens for racing photographers.
Interesting conversations between the haves and have-nots on that one.
The have-nots tend to joke about these guys having to move way back just
to get a shot in many cases (and it is often really true...). The haves
haul not only these beasts about but fast 300s, 80-200s, wide angles,
and 2-4 wunderbrick bodies as well...

Funny thing was at the Laguna Seca ALMS race last fall when I was using
the 350/2.8 for the first time it was one of these guys hauling around a
600/4 (amongst other C*n*n arsenal valued at about 10 times the value of
my car) who was one of the many that came by to chat and get a closer
look (OMs are pretty rare at the track these days and 350/2.8s are
virtually unheard of). He aksed if they still made them (he knew exactly
what it was right away) and struck up a conversation. I told him I was
trying it out and I could have it for ~2k... The reply, in a funny
British humor kinda way, was an emphatic "BUY IT! What else can you get
like that for 2k?!" After the results I saw from it, the way handling it
felt on a mono-pod, as I posted then...I was smitten. Thanks again to
the generosity of Tom and my mom for this treat. The third time I used
it I got a shot that was used for the cover of the Quattro Quarterly
magazine and the sharpness is stunning. That issue featured about 15-20
images of mine throughout and many were taken with the 350. Between that
lens and the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 LD I have been able to really step up
the quality of my results and honestly have this list to thank for both
enlightening me to the 80-200 (a fabulous lens...) and for the way
things worked out with the 350. I am really looking forwards to the 2001
season and am having a lot of fun shooting.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com