Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:58:05 -0700
At 12:09 PM 1/26/01 -0500, Doris Fang wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Olaf Greve wrote:

  About what Dirk had previously written:

> >Man, after reading all this theft stuff, hell if I'm ever going on a trip
> >to Italy. I'll watch the video, thanks. I feel a heck of a lot safer in
> >Wash, DC than I would anywhere in Italy, despite all the data about bad
> >stuff happening in DC.
>
> Well, this is _exactly_ the kind of feeling/fear I was trying to prevent by
> typing the above :)
> What I meant to say as a one-liner is: When traveling in places you don't
> know, be aware of the possibility of getting robbed, but DON'T let your
> concerns spoil your vacation.

 IMO,  A lot of these fears are ethnocentric. The fear that things are
meaner "over there", when in reality, they're far more likely to happen in
Washington D.C.

I'd second that. Last trip to Paris, my wife and I ran into a charming young man and woman from San Francisco -- both in their late teens or early twenties -- who were rather paranoid about Paris. In particular, they were worried about the safety of Paris' Underground. "Do you two ever take the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) at home?" I asked. "Sure, all the time." "Well, Paris' Underground is a LOT safer than the BART." "Oh..."

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
 A: Winter."