Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:51:16 -0000
Doris mentioned ethnocentricity, and I'd offer a Scottish perspective on
this. A few years ago we (the West) bombed somewhere or other, and the
unthreatened possibility of terrorist reprisals led to a slump in US tourism
to Scotland.

This caused anguished, but highly amused laughter in Scotland, where we do
not have terrorism. Lockerbie only happened in Scotland because of a delayed
flight. Mind you, since the trial, they know where we live...

My friends in Seattle (this is a good one) think it rains all the time in
Scotland, as if they would notice the difference! Jim's from Miami
originally,  lived in New York, geez I'm always surprised he reached 50.

I remember going for a nice stroll in Tangier with my OM1n, chatting to a
few locals and working my way back to where the organised party were still
milling about, seeing not very much. Never been robbed, not in Paris,
London, Amsterdam, Tangier, Seattle or Vancouver. But I got mugged sitting
waiting for a Chinese takeaway in Bainsford (it's about two miles from
here). Not robbed, the guy was just stotious and didn't like my face.

Go, enjoy, just don't paint a target on your chest.

Donald.