Re: [OM] Fw: Virus alert!

Subject: Re: [OM] Fw: Virus alert!
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:19:16 +0100
: I may be wrong, but I heard MS Outlook users may get a virus without
: the attached files (some kind of scripting within the test in the
: message).

True - in its default setting Outl**k Express will automatically execute any
ActiveX components, VisualBasickScript and JavaScript embedded in HTML e-mails.
Only when the user sets Extra/Options/Security to 'zones with restricted
access', and adjust the security levels in MSIE (Extra/Internet
options/security/zones with restricted access/adjusted level) to disable all
kind of scripting the user is safe for such attacks.

Of course making sure you have a modern virus program that scans emails, and a
recent database for this scanner is also very important. Currently email is the
most popular carrier for new viruses. I never had any virus attack in ten years,
but in the last two months I had five infected emails sent to me.

Hoaxes can very easily be identified. They all start with a load of crap how
dangerous they are, that their existence has been confirmed by Symantec,
Microsoft etc., that they have a specific subject line, and of course, the
message that you must pass it along to all your friends and acquaintances.

Following this last suggestion transforms the ignorant reader into a human
virus - the message spreads based on ignorance alone. And consumes huge amounts
of human time, data traffic and storage thanks to the cascading effect.

hnz