Re: [OM][OT] Fw: Virus alert!

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Fw: Virus alert!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 14:13:03 -0800
Once Upon a 26 Jan 01, Nick Taylor wrote me about Re: [OM] Fw: Virus alert! something like:

 How about NOT posting ANY more virus warnings.  If you do not open any
 executable file received via email you will never be infected by an email
 virus.  If you received an executable from a friend, do NOT execute it
 until you have independently verified that it was purposely sent to you.

 Do not open files with an EXE extension ... no open files that can contain
 an executable macro ... such as Word (DOC), Excel (XLS), etc.

Ehem, Nick:

I may be wrong, but I heard MS Outlook users may get a virus without
the attached files (some kind of scripting within the test in the
message). However I would agree on the *no virus alerts* rule. 99%
are fake ones.

Cheers

Quique (Enrique Cabrera)       qcabrera@xxxxxxxxxx

Like the about 200f users of the internet who use a Mac, virtually none of these alerts, real or not, apply to me. I also vote to eliminate virus alerts as an additional off topic subject on the list.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA