[OM] Tide Pool Photography

Subject: [OM] Tide Pool Photography
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:32:06 -0800
>Two other locations that haven't been mentioned in the southern part of the
>state include Laguna Beach and the rocky beach/tide pools that have so much
>marine life at low tide, and Venice Beach, with the variety of people that
>are fun to watch and photograph.

Funny you should mention this at this time, 'cause I have been thinking
about going on a tide pool junket with my OM gear (now that the list has
given me permission to get my OM gear salty). I live in Redondo Beach, so
tide pools are not far away. But I'm unclear as to how I might best
prepare for a tide pool trip. I'd like to be able to get some underwater
photos without an expensive "wet suit" or housing for the camera. I've
been thinking about something like a half-spherical piece of plexiglass
that could be used to break the surface of the water, through which I
might be able to get a shot at the creepies that live beneath. Do any of
you Zuiks have experience with photographing underwater, without taking
the camera itself underwater? In other words, inexpensive shallow
underwater photography? --Kelton