[OM] Los Angeles Traffic [OT but could not resist]

Subject: [OM] Los Angeles Traffic [OT but could not resist]
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:57:35 -0800
>If you drive near any major city (Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco)
>during a weekday, be aware of the enormous problem with commuter traffic
>gridlocking freeways going to and from work.  It's not "rush hour," it's
>"rush three hours (or more)" in these urban locales.  Ask someone where you
>are staying which direction you need to be going in the morning and the
>evening to avoid this!  It will help maximize your time seeing things other
>than the cars in front, alongside and behind you.  In some places, it's
>inescapable as both directions are a real mess.  Average traffic speed
>during these times, if the distance was over 20 miles, was 15-20 MPH on a
>freeway, which I used to plan timing accordingly.  It's one of the reasons
>people will tell you _how_long_ it takes to get between places instead of
>_how_far_ it is!
>
>- -- John

Yep, John's right. As an LA resident, I make a point of avoiding the
freeways between 6-10am and again from 3-7pm. If you must drive during
the rush hours, the best way to adapt is to do as the locals do: drive an
automatic transmission 4WD SUV (that has never seen anything but concrete
under its tires), steer with your knees, use your left hand to eat and
your right hand to talk on the phone. In order to accomplish this, you
will need to drive slow in the fast lane, but that's OK in LA. You can
act just like a local if you are simultaneously using a tape recorder to
memo yourself about that script you're working on, and giving the bird to
the guy that you just cut off. To complete the illusion, choose a bumper
sticker: "Visualize World Peace,"  "Gore Lieberman 2000," "Fear This,"
and "Got MLK?" are all still very popular. You'll blend in and nobody
will notice you're even here. Well, I will, if you're carrying an OM.
--Kelton