Re: [OM] Film scanner choice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner choice?
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:46:30 +0100
Nick

I have the Dimage Scan Dual SCSI version with my PowerMac 6500/300. It works well with Photoshop 5LE (which I can now operate properly thanks to the massive generosity of Gary E in Arlington TX).

Vuescan is on my disk as well, but I don't use it so often. Many of its bits don't work properly with a Mac,... yet anyway. The software has excellent compensation for different colour negative films though so I put up with some of the shortcomings to get a good neg scan (e.g. the interface needs some tidying up, and the JPEG output does not output JPEG that any of my software recognises). But Ed Hamrick provides good email backup for his software. For B/W and slide, though, I use Photoshop with the Minolta plugin - both should come with the scanner.

My Scan Dual gives me good performance and is as fast as I can expect with only 64Mb of RAM installed.

Chris

If you have experience with either of these two scanners I'd really
appreciate your comments:  Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II and Dimage
Scan Elite.

I've been told that Ed Hamrick's VueScan is the best scanner software
presently available ... any comments?

Thanks in advance,
  -Nick

--