Re: [OM] macro with oncamera flash

Subject: Re: [OM] macro with oncamera flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:58:23 +0000
At 22:54 1/28/01, Acer V asked:
if i have a t32 sitting on top of a 1n and use the 50/3.5mac, will the
flash cover subject? all the way till 1:2 or approx how far? is the
aperture cals just like gn/distance or is there some other loss from lens
extension?

Acer,

First, if you didn't know this about the T-32:
You can tilt the flash tube 15 degrees downward by first tilting the tube straight up, then moving a slider under it completely to the right, then tilting the tube down again. This opens up a slot that allows the tube to tilt downward.

The danger in shoe mounted flash with a macro that close is the lens blocking the light from the flash. Someone who has used the 50/3.5 can tell you how close you can get before you need to move the flash from the shoe.

Since the OM-1n uses the T-32 in Normal Auto (versus TTL Auto) I believe you will have to compute the extension factor to adjust the aperture at distances less than about 40cm, or about 16 inches. The heuristic ("rule of thumb") taking the extension factor into account is a subject distance less than eight times the focal length. For methods on how to compute this, see my web site, under the "Science of Photography" in the "Exposure" section, "Macrophotography" sub-section. If my thinking is straight, you will want to set the T-32 in Normal Auto for an aperture that will give you the proper distance range, and then open up the from that on the lens using the extension factor. As I mention in my discussion of this, an OM-2[n,S,sp] or OM-4[T,ti] in Auto with the T-32 in TTL Auto will automagically compensate.

Web Site:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/

Direct link to computing extension/bellows factors:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/science/scienceexposure.html#Macrophotography

One additional piece of information that might help with the equations:
  M = x/f
    M = Magnification
    x = lens extension
    f = focal length

  Therefore, if you know the magnification, you can find
  the lens extension from it and the focal length:
  x = M * f

I need to add this to that portion of my web site.

-- John