[OM] Fungus in the lens

Subject: [OM] Fungus in the lens
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:20:54 -0800 (PST)
Dear All,

Some of you probably remember posts about fungus. I was the smart-*ss
who said he'd lived in humid Indonesia and never encountered lens
fungus. Well, now I have! Not with an Oly lens, mind you, but with a
Leica Mini Zoom (P&S). For the past couple of months, I've noticed that
the right-hand side of pictures taken with the camera were sharp and
contrasty but the left-hand side were blurred and exhibited tremendous
flare, even if only a small area of the left-hand side was back-lit or
contained a bright light source. I thought it might be a processing
problem but it's happened with several films now. Other films, from my
OM-2S, developed at the same lab were fine.

Anyway, I set the Min Zoom to "B" and peered through the lens with the
back open. I was able to see a white crystalline growth across half of
the lens. This must be the dreaded lens fungus. It's on an interior
glass surface of the auto-focus zoom lens. From what I remember reading
on this list, fungus can be inhibited from growing further but existing
fungus can't be removed effectively. I guess I'll have to ditch the
camera, because I don't think repair will be economical. :-(

I attribute this to my bad habit of always keeping the camera in its
soft leather case, which can be carried on the belt. This proves to me
that leather is not good for cameras since it attracts fungus. Other
lenses I own are kept in cloth bags with some sachets of silica-gel to
kep the air dry and I haven't (yet!) had a problem with them.

Regards,

=====
Ray