Re: [OM] [OT] Space shuttle - enough of the spectacle!

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Space shuttle - enough of the spectacle!
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:21:53 -0800
At 01:28 PM 1/29/01 EST, Geo S wrote:
>I agree on your observation that we don't "need" gruesome photos in the
>papers, but, for me, this discussion is not about "let's see the photos of
>the Challenger victims in their seats at the bottom of the ocean"  No, it's
>more about the sham of an "investigation" and the lies put forth by
>government agencies both to protect their big $$$ programs, and to "protect"
>it's citizens from the truth. No, I don't need the gruesome details, and may
>choose not to view them if I wish, but in a free society it should be "my"
>choice, not the government's.  Definitely not pertinent to the OM list, but
>also not unimportant to citizens of a free society.
>
>George S.

George,

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. While I cannot comment on the
shuttle disaster I do know that my father spent 10 years as the head of
aircraft accident investigation in Central Region in the 60's (here in
Canada). He finally gave up in frustration with all the politics and "ass
covering" that went on. Real causes were not provided to the "public".
Instead far too often reports were changed to show "pilot error" as the
cause and the real culprits were let off the hook. Money and power do not
provide truth.
Barry H