Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Space shuttle media
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:27:06 -0500
>As you might guess, I feel pretty strongly over this issue. I'm not going to
>apologize for it, either; I spent too many years of my life working to help
>people in those situations, as a volunteer, to accept that the media has a
>larger duty to hurt them worse in the name of "freedom of the press".

It's not about that. It's about documenting the horrors of everyday life and
sharing that feeling with the rest of the community. It's also about changing
society. If it wasn't for the visual media documenting the Vietnam war, there
would never have been an uprising against it. Likewise, documentation of
famine and disease in Africa helps to get those people more help. Further,
documenting corruption usually makes it stop. Sharing in tragedy makes us all
feel more human and compassionate towards others. Sharing in the outrage of
corruption and unnecessary human suffering forces us to participate in the
world we live in. This generally improves society in my opinion.
--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright