RE: [OM] [OT] eBay -- what gives?

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] eBay -- what gives?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:28:22 -0700
At 02:12 PM 1/30/01 -0700, James N. McBride wrote:
I just got caught on a shipment to Canada. From the time I received the
shipping cost quote until I mailed the package the price went up from $6 to
$15.  Maybe the USPS extreme raises in international shipping rates is part
of the problem. During the past year I have shipped things to about six
countries with no problems other than this one example.

Why should you have been "caught"? I would assume that the buyer absorbs the shipping cost, regardless (or is that "irregardless"? ;-) of what it actually happens to be.

I bought a Sharp Actius A800 laptop off of eBay about a year ago. The fellow didn't want to deal with me 'cause I was Canadian. Not only did I win the bid, but he had the payment -- in U.S. dollars -- the next day (I use FedEx to mail payment). Said it was the best transaction he'd ever done on eBay, and was sorry that he assumed that an "extra-U.S." transaction might have been a hassle.

Garth