RE: [OM] macro questions

Subject: RE: [OM] macro questions
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:29:51 -0500
Dick,
Typically, any dedicated macro lens will give better performance than a
combination like you describe.
The 50/1.4 wasn't designed as a macro (no compensating element groups or
movement). Also, by adding a TC that causes you to lose edge/corner
resolution and contrast, you are further degrading the photo.

But, it sure is nice to carry around!

For cost-effective purchases other than Zuikos, take a look at:
1. Vivitar 90/2.8 (goes to 1:1)
2. Tamron 90/2.5 macro
3. Vivitar 90/2.5 macro
4. Tokina 90/2.? macro
5. Vivitar 50/2.8 macro
6. others (Sigma, Soligor, Kiron,...)

However, your difficult time getting the photo will still be there.  Try
tripods that have legs that can reaaaly extend (open out flat), and/or take
a look at smaller tripods that let you get closer to the subject because
they are small and don't take up as much "floor space".

Another approach is to use a tripod that will let you use the center column
in a horizontal mode.  I have a Manfrotto (Bogen 3401) that allows me to use
the column in a vertical mode or horizontal configuration.  Gitzo now has
tripods like this.  Slik and Velbon also have tripods that function in this
manner and are not as expensive.

For a small tripod (~8" high) and LIGHT, take a look at the Ultrapod II.  It
is made of plastic, but is quite sturdy.  I use them often in industrial
applications and they are great.  Cost ~$15-$20.

Brian P. Huber