Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:12:47 EST
Hi,
I chase all sorts of birds and animals.  My beliefs follow many on here.
If you have the money, you can't beat a 600mm f4 lens and autofocus is the
way to go. Animals on the wing etc.  almost demand it. This means abandoning
Olympus.

If sticking with Olympus the best long lens with outstanding quality avaiable
is a Tamron 400 mm f4.  Add a converter and you have a very fine 560mm f5.6.
This is a tad short for most birding and slow for slide work.  With a tripod
this comination is excellent and is not too heavy.  A 600mm f4 or a 400mm
f2.8 will stay at home alot more than a lens half its size.  It is just a
huge weight issue.

A 300mm f2.8 lens is a lens I couldn't do without.  It is very fast, still
not too powerful so that handheld shooting is fairly easy and with converters
you can shoot up to 8.4x.  I rarely consider a 2x usable for much more than
details.  The quality really suffers unless you stop down.  Whether it is a
wildlife lens is the question.
You will need some big critters to fill the viewfinder.

My philosophy is that if I have excellent lenses and tight film, I will just
enlarge to get more power instead of frame filling shots every time.

I think that Olympus does a fantastic job of macro through medium telephoto.
If you needed to add one lens the system lacks, pick up a Canon 800mm f5.6
(around $2500 or so) and a T90 body and then all is covered happily : )

My ideas
John R