Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 03:11:16 EST
In a message dated 1/31/01 11:45:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< >Hi,
 >I chase all sorts of birds and animals.  My beliefs follow many on here.
 >If you have the money, you can't beat a 600mm f4 lens and autofocus is the
 >way to go. Animals on the wing etc.  almost demand it. This means abandoning
 >Olympus.

 On the other hand, there are lots of people who go hunting with bows
 and arrows. What ever floats your boat.

 Winsor >>
I guess the issue is efficiency.
Hunting with a bow and arrow will work some of the time, but a gun will fill
your cave with more meat faster (I am a non-hunter so I chose neither)
If shooting professionally, one the big autofocus 600mm f4's etc will bring
you more opportunity to make money and just a plain higher percentage of good
pictures.
Using a autofocus monster isn't absolutely necessary, ofcourse.
Reminds me of Lee Wulff- the master flyfisherman.
He tied flies in his hand without a tying vise and could cast a flyline
without a rod.
Also, this last weekend I was at the new Seattle Music Museum (EMP I believe
it is called).   I saw the Hendrix white Strat from Woodstock and Clapton's
"Brownie" Strat he wrote Layla and other songs on.  I realized that out of
their hands, it meant nothing.  I couldn't play a lick if I tried on them.
Just another guitar.
It is all in the artist and the mind.  The tool won't mean a whole lot if
there isn't a good guide.
I think that is why Olympus is so appealing overall.  Great in hand and a
solid system.
John R