Re: [OM] price effects of a small mark on Big Glass

Subject: Re: [OM] price effects of a small mark on Big Glass
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:57:14 EST
Thought this might be of interest.  Awhile back we had talked about the need
of a protective front filter on a lens such as the 350m f2.8 and what might
happen if damaged.

This is from a running eBay add for a Canon 400mm f2.8 II..... "The lens is
in perfect condition other than the usual paint wear and there is a tiny tiny
tiny (can't stress enough) chip on the outer upper edge on the front glass.
It is nearly invisible and has no effect whatsoever. It is outside the area
of the image on the glass. It was like that when I bought it and I didn't see
it for two weeks even after cleaning the glass. It is so minor, yet it is
still not honest to not mention it. I have knocked about $1000 off ......."
Spooky stuff!  Even more spooky is such honesty rarely seen on eBay : )
John R