[OM] Using IS/L H.Q. converters on OM lens

Subject: [OM] Using IS/L H.Q. converters on OM lens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 01:53:31
Rand, it is indeed an excellent close up lenslette, one which I used for a few months after buying it for my mom's iS-2, but was unable to give up. ;) I finally found a regular single-element Olympus close up lenslette which seems just as good judging from what I can see using a loupe. Both are coated, but the IS/L A-200 H.Q. Converter is a multi-element type. (Yeh, I finally gave the iS-version to ma.)

Likewise, other OM listfolk have reported favorably on their experiences using the other iS-series optical adaptors on their OM lenses.

BTW, combined with the Zuiko 75-150/4 at 150mm and closest focus, either of the Olympus close up lensettes will deliver 1:2 magnification, considerably better magnification than can be achieved with the normal lenses.

If you got the entire kit for the IS/L A-200 H.Q. Converter it should include a semi-rigid sheet of squarish transluscent white plastic, cut out to fit into a groove in the lensette's outer ring. A must for on-camera flash as it diffuses the light beautifully.

Here's a couple of pix of my mom's cat, Diva (or as I call her, Toothless Drooly Furface). Both taken using the Zuiko 75-150/4, one with the single-element Olympus close up lensette, one taken with the iS-series lensette. (If the following URL word wraps to another line you may need to copy-&-paste it in two steps.):

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1005538&a=7400081&p=32720358

I can't tell which is which 'cause I didn't write it down and both appear equally sharp to me, tho' DOF is unavoidably shallow.

It's not as handy as a dedicated macro lens but it's certainly sharp enough for other-than-flat-field subjects like cat's mugs and flowers.

Lex
===