[OM] Tripod question

Subject: [OM] Tripod question
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 02:09:53
Dunno about the Slik U9000, never really considered that model. I usually keep either a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 with a tilt/pan head (tho' I'd prefer a ballhead), or a Slik U212 Deluxe in the trunk. Both have held up well for years.

The Slik U212 has lots of plastic (feels like hard nylon), but it's proven to be durable. Nothing's cracked, frayed, shed or gone astray. Very versatile too. Equally good as a still and video tripod (translation: not particularly great at either). Usable as a copy stand or for low-angle macro work. Also great as a makeshift light stand. Cheap, simple, low profile quick-release buttons that are locked into a hole in the tripod head.

But for simplicity in the field, overall value and outstanding durability (and DIY repairability) in a compact tripod, you can't beat the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001. But don't hang an oversized hat on it like I did - the big tilt/pan heads are just silly on that little thing. Get a medium duty ballhead.

Another attractive looking doodad is the Cullman mini tripods. I forget the model name/number, but it's the one that folds up into a relatively flat shape that can fit into many camera bags. Available with either a video-type head or, I believe, a ballhead.

Keep in mind that of the three I've mentioned here only the Slik U212 Deluxe will prevent a severe case of hunchback during prolonged sessions for folks in the 5' 10"-6' 2" range, and that only with the centerpost elevated a little.

Lex
===

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:16:57 -0500
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...I needed a lightweight tripod that was not of the mega-buck carbon fiber kind...to keep...in the trunk of my car...