RE: [OM] LCD life (was: Can autofocus be as good as manual focus? )

Subject: RE: [OM] LCD life (was: Can autofocus be as good as manual focus? )
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:38:29 -0800
Lex mentioned...

Reminds me of a situation here at Fluke.  Our premier DC calibrator (5440)
was initially produced with an LCD display.  Public perception drove the
company to 'update' it with a gas fluorescent one, because the customer
perception was that the 'green light up display' was more professional
looking.  MTBF on the GF display is something like 100,000 hours, and the GF
display is something like an order of magnitude noisier than the LCD one (of
some concern on a DC standard, one would think!).  We've several GF display
units here with such diminished brightness to be virtually unusable, while
the 'cheap looking' LCD ones keep on plugging along.  Don't know that I've
seen a single LCD unit with the dreaded fade/bleed disease.

'The customer is ALWAYS right...'

Jim