[OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby

Subject: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 16:51:06 -0600
This is wildly off-topic, except that in the end there is OM camera
equipment involved.  To set the stage, I've been struggling to keep up with
what I own and what I want to keep and what I want to sell.  So, I started
looking for a decent database program to keep it in.  In the end, I decided
to play and built myself a custom database for my 'inventory'. I then wrote
a Visual Basic application that would pull all the information from the
database and apply HTML templates to it and build the pages of my inventory.

OK, that was poorly written, but in the end, if you want to see the results,
try this link:

http://www.zuikoholic.com/category/main.htm

Everything on that page and any page in the inventory is all dynamically
built.  This includes inserting the thumbnails and all the links to the
bigger pictures.  If you leave off information (price, etc), it just blanks
out that column.  The database also lets me keep track of how much I paid,
what I expect to sell it for and what I finally do sell it for and reports
on how I am doing. My next enhancement is to have it automatically calculate
my ebay fees for things I sell on ebay and subtract that.

OK, the effort I spent doing this was more than manually keeping the webpage
up-to-date for the next 10 years, but it was fun.  I've had the last couple
weeks off, so this was my play project.

If anyone is interested in using this to keep track of their own equipment,
I'd be happy to send the database and compiled VB program to you (or set it
up for download).  It's not written for 'end-users', meaning there is no
doc, but I could explain it pretty easily.

If while you're wandering around you find something you want (didn't mean to
make this a sales email, but had to say this part), ignore the price and
email me. Those are prices for someone that 'wandered into the site'.

Any thoughts, suggestions for improvements or criticisms welcome, but keep
them off-line.  Any flames should be off-line too.  They're welcome, but
let's not clutter the list with them.

Thanks

Tom