Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning solutions

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning solutions
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 07:58:20 -0600
----- Original Message in part ----- from: <Doggre@xxxxxxx>
> Mentioned to the clerk that someone mentioned using Windex first, followed
by
> methyl alcohol, and he said, "Oh, I wouldn't do that.  I would never use
> Windex.  I would use only lens cleaner".... Comments?  (He was young...).
>
> Rich

We had some pretty good threads on this in the past.  The best thing seems
to be something called Opticlean (?), which I have not used and is quite
expensive.  It seems to be designed for large glass like institutional
telescopes but works well for lenses.  You paint it on, let it dry, and peel
it off.  You have to try not to get it on any non-optical surfaces.

I use the Kodak solution on their little tissues once in a great while if
there is a drop of sweat or something stuck on the lens or filter surface.
Otherwise
I like air (camel hair brush or canned) or a swipe with a microfiber cloth
once in a great while.  With the advent of the cloths, I don't just don't
use wet cleaners much any more.

Joel W.