Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning solutions

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Cleaning solutions
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 09:57:28 -0700
At 06:05 AM 2/4/2001 -0500, Rich (Doggre@xxxxxxx) wrote:

[snip]

>Mentioned to the clerk that someone mentioned using Windex first, followed by
>methyl alcohol, and he said, "Oh, I wouldn't do that.  I would never use
>Windex.  I would use only lens cleaner".... Comments?  (He was young...).

And foolish, too.  There's *nothing* wrong with using Windex, and it's actually
been recommended by several pros and camera reviewers who've raved about the
results, particularly when coupled with run-of-the-mill toilet tissue!  (NOTE:
Do *not* use tissue that has "lotion" or "moisturizer" added -- you'll just be
adding a whole new set of streaks...).  For environmental grime (say, for
instance, you've been shooting in a smoke-filled barroom), nothing beats the
one-two punch of Windex and then methyl alcohol.  I've also successfully used
Windex to clean off fungal bloom from filters I stored poorly, and they came
out pristine.

Mind you, the whole point of using the Windex/tissue approach is that it's more
capable of dissolving grease/oil and a bit more "scrubby."  I *wouldn't*
recommend using it every time you clean your lens -- that's a job left to
lintless tissue (or a well-laundered 100otton rag, like an old, clean T-shirt)
and methyl alcohol.

Avoid the Kodak stuff like the plague.  With it, you just clean, and clean, and
clean...

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/, or
   http://www.enable.org/~gallery/