[OM] Re: [OT] I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 18:23:20
Cc: Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Personally, I wouldn't bother with a typical relational database, Donald. Unless you really enjoy that sort of thing. I once used Clarion for DOS to set up databases and preferred it because the format and code were completely protected from folks doing the data entry. It created a runtime program that could be modified by the programmer but could not be monkeyed with by anyone else. The end product was a user-friendly forms entry interface. It was one of the earliest object-oriented database programs readily available to consumers and was terrific for folks like me with good sense (well...) but little or no background in programming.

Dunno whether Clarion or anything similar is available for Windows or Macs now. HyperCard or a variation thereof is probably still the best for Macs.

I'd suggest downloading the latest trial version of ACDSee - an excellent, fast and efficiently coded image viewer - and see whether it provides sufficiently categorized data entry sections for your purposes. Data entered in ACDSee can be transported between it and most spreadsheets or databases.

ACDSee provides thumbnail or filename views, gamma correction independent of whatever correction you use in Photoshop or similar image editors, a rudimentary slide show feature and other goodies. It may have improved since the last version I downloaded. The price is very reasonable and the trial version is not crippled in any way and gives you plenty of time to evaluate the program - a nag screen pops up periodically but that's all.

Lex
===

Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 11:56:21 -0000
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...I was thinking about using Access for cataloguing my slides and negatives. Trouble is, I'm having a devil of a time working out why I need a relational database to do this.