[OM] Lens Cleaning Solutions

Subject: [OM] Lens Cleaning Solutions
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:06:02 EST
Thanks for all the helpful posts, guys.

I just found that I have some 91% (by volume) isopropyl alcohol (Fred Meyer
brand).  Tried it.  Works fine, leaves no noticable residue.  Only other
ingredient listed is water, which I presume would be distilled?

Went thru all my lenses.  Most simply needed a shot of air to blow away dust.
 Since I just spent $9.99 on a 10 oz/312 ml can of "Dust Off", gave it a try.
 Gotta hold it upright, give it a blast away from the lens first to clear any
liquid from the nozzle, and keep it upright, or the liquid inside will leave
a blotch of residue -- just been there, done that on a skylight filter.
Lesson learned.  Follow the directions to the letter.

Only problem I encountered was when I got to the very thin Cokin skylight on
my Vivitar 70 -210 zoom, it seemed to have a static charge, and wanted to
hang on to some of the "lint" particles (I was using toilet tissue, plain, no
perfume, lotions, etc. -- honest-to-gosh belching, scratching, beer swilling
bachelor here).  Maybe one should have a sheet of "Bounce" (clothes drying
anti-static) handy -- but you couldn't rub it on your hands without picking
up something, could you?  What to do?  Wrist strap, anti-static mat?  Geez,
how do you do that out in the field?

Gonna try to avoid ever having to touch a lens again except to blow off dust.
 (I know, famous last words...)

Rich