Re: [OM] OM-2N Switch Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2N Switch Question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:01:09 -0600
There's a strong possibility that your 2n had an original plastic switch
that broke, and has been replaced with an all-metal part -- I've noticed
that the all-metal switches don't line up quite right.

Here's what happened: the old original switch lever was solid metal.
Then somebody had the bright idea of replacing the metal lever with one
that was comprised of a brass post with a plastic upper piece molded
around it -- to save a few cents, I suppose.  At the same time, the
collar around the lever was redesigned, with the stop post being made
taller.

After a few years, the plastic started breaking off, leaving the brass
post sticking up out of the top cover.  Olympus' replacement part was
another solid metal part -- but it wouldn't fit because the stop post
was too tall!  So, to get the new part to fit, either the whole collar
had to be replaced (sometimes very difficult to unscrew, and costly as
well), or the offending post would be ground down.

In any event, the lever never would line up just right.  If everything
works OK, be content that you've got a switch lever that's not going to
break -- and that's a good thing, since the levers are no longer
available!