Re: [OM] [OT] Epson printers

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Epson printers
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 07:51:19 -0600
----- Original Message -----  from: <WKato@xxxxxxx>
> Some people on the Epson list are using the 1160 instead of the 1270 and
> using the Lyson archival inks

Even some folks on this list.  I'm using the 1160 with MIS archival ink in a
continuous-inking system designed for it.  The MIS ink combines pigment and
dye inks.  One of the fading/orange shift 1270 gurus on the Epson list
tested samples from my setup and found no hint of shifting or fading due to
environmental contaminants or direct sun.

The problem is finding a combination which allows one to make a good glossy
print with this ink.  If you like matte papers, pigment inks are no problem,
but the darks tend to "bronze" on glossy papers.  The best glossy I have
found is Ilford Heavyweight Glossy and Kodak Premium Picture Paper is equal
or better.  (The Ilford is available in more sizes however.)  Prints are
just beautiful!  The problem is that ink never completely hardens on these
papers.  The only remedy is to spray it with an acrylic art spray like
Krylon 1305.  That's fine if you're not a high volume printer and don't mind
the brain damage from the spray.

Unfortunately, I really want a good glossy print. I just don't like matte
papers very well.  After I finish off the MIS ink I'm going to try Xtreme
Gamut ink, a dye formulation which is supposedly derived from Ilford's own
Archiva series.  The Archiva ink and Ilford papers have a good track record
in Wilhelm's tests of archival papers, etc.

I might add that all this *requires* wrestling with color management and
various doodads and software associated with this.  If you don't have the
time and inclination for this (and the learning curve is significant), stick
with either the Epson 1270 or better the 2000P and pay for the Epson carts.
The carts cost a lot by comparison to what I'm paying for ink, but Epson has
dealt with all these problems for you and you gotta feed the bulldog.

Joel W.