Re: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming h

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:40:06 GMT
One of the essential parts of organising slides/negs is numbering. David
Vestal discussed a straightforward system in Photo Techniques, Sept/Oct '00.
He uses year data followed by film number, e.g. 9931 written on each strip
of negs with finepoint indelible marker. I have been thinking of cataloguing
(sp?) my images, and came up with the following idea:

* Prefix A, B or C for slides, b&w and colour negs respectively. This allows
me to establish the film type instantly. Followed by:
* Two-digit year:
* Film no. in that year
* separator, _ or -
* the individual frame no.

An example would be:
A0114-21 (21st frame on 14th slide film of 2001).

Heavy film users can just use 3 digits for the roll number. Has anyone
developed or heard of a better system?

The frame number could then be added to each record in the database. If the
sheet or box containing the roll is numbered, you can find the individual
frame very easily. A slide caption label can include this number easily. The
database fields should reflect what you are likely to search by, e.g. date,
location, film type, subject matter and so on. I even considered listing
which body, lens and shutter/aperture were used (I already make a note of
this in my handwritten notes), but is this going a bit too far? Who knows.
Whatever you do, make sure you BACK IT UP (I can't emphasise this enough).
Don't wait until a hard disk fault occurs or your operating system goes AWOL
- it will be too late.

Simon E.