RE: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming ho

Subject: RE: [OM] Wildly [OT] - I combined my camera hobby with my programming hobby
From: jowilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:10:18 -0600
Hey Simon,

>===== Original Message From Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
>One of the essential parts of organising slides/negs is numbering
-snip-

>An example would be:
>A0114-21 (21st frame on 14th slide film of 2001).
>
>Heavy film users can just use 3 digits for the roll number. Has anyone
>developed or heard of a better system?

I use something similar, although my system assigns a date to the film, where
today, Feb 5, 2001 would be "010205" followed by the frame number in two
digits (i.e., observing placeholder zeroes, "01, 02" etc.). I think your
hyphen is not necessary.

The film type marker is interesting.  I make it a habit of writing the type of
film on the film box.  I would put it at the end of the number so that it
doesn't thwart alphanumeric ordering (since it's just info, not part of the
organizing data).

In the past, I have used a letter -- a, b, or c -- at the end if the number to
designate different rolls of film all shot on the same day.  I have never shot
365 rolls of film in a year -- yet! I'm working on it -- so I now just use the
date that I get the film back from Fuji by mail, and if there are several on
the same day, I just use several extra numbers prior to the present date.  I
should probably try to be more exact as to the date the film was shot, but I
guess I decided the date is close enough and I don't like those letters at the
end of the number.

Joel W.