Re: [OM] OT Global warming

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Global warming
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 17:18:29 -0500
>Well said Mike.  I'm trying to stay out of this discussion b/c it's
something
>that really gets under my skin.  In any case, I think you point out the real
>problem: shortsightedness.  It seems we are in a what's-in-it-for-me society
>where people don't grasp the larger issues outside the normal routine.

Most of the major polluters are publicly owned companies, ie, they have
publicly traded stock. What this means to the CEO is that if he doesn't show
not only profitablity, but sustained pofitability at an expected level, then
he's out the door. Therefore, every little nickel that gets added because of
whatever regulation means that he's closer to being kicked out by the
stockholders. And this goes on every quarter of the business year. So, the
CEO's are forced to only see into the next 3 months at most. And if he has a
heart to make the air and water cleaner for his current and future relatives
and lets that profit margin slip, then the stockholders will merely boot his
ass out on the street and get someone else in there that will do the job
"right." Such is the life of big business as I understand it.

--
Be Seeing You.
Dirk Wright